If you have an expensive car, it is important that you have a secure place to park it. A well-functional and well-maintained garage door is important to have for the security of your home as well as your car.
At the same time, it is equally important that you know how to conduct garage door repair in case something goes wrong with your working garage door. Overhead automatic garage door operates on torsion springs and it is fairly easy and convenient to conduct such a repairing project. If you are in need of garage door repair work, please visit the link https://qualitygaragedoorcolumbus.com/ to consult with a professional garage door expert. Some of the important steps that you might follow are:
- If the metal tracks of the garage door become dented or loose, you should tighten the screws or bolts inside the mounting brackets. However, while performing DIY garage door repair work, if you found that metal tracks are badly damaged, they should be replaced.
- Make sure that the tracks are properly aligned and balanced. Both tracks should be placed at the same height on the walls of the garage. While inspecting your garage door, if you find that the tracks are not aligned the right way, lose the screws and bolts and then gently tap the tracks into their right position. Make sure to tighten the screws once you are done.
- While conducting DIY garage door repair, make sure to clean the tracks using a mild household cleaner to remove dirt and hardened grease. Clean the roller thoroughly and then wipe them out to make them dry completely.
- Lubricate the rollers, tracks, and springs using any high-quality silicone spray or powdered graphite on the tracks. You may use any good-quality household oil on the tracks and rollers.
- During the garage door repair project, make sure that you have checked the garage door to find out loose hardware and tighten them according to make them secure. For the garage door that swings up to open, check the mounting plates where the torsion springs are attached to make sure that they are tightened securely. In other cases, check the hinges and check the damaged ones to restore the functionality of the garage door. If the garage door shows signs of sagging on one side then it can be fixed by serving the hinges. It is good to make sure that the wood on which hinges are attached is not chipped or cracked.
- Next, check the springs of the garage door to make sure that it is hooked into the right hole or notch. If you experience any difficulty while conducting garage door repair, try adjusting the tension. You just need to remove the existing hook and shift it to the next notch or hole. In some cases, where garage door springs are supported by cables and pulleys, you should try adjusting the tension by pulling the metal cables throughout the plate.
It is extremely important for your safety and protection that you take ahead if your garage door has torsion springs that are placed at the center of a garage door. In this case, never try to conduct garage door repair on your own. The pressure on the springs is great which may hurt you if you try to handle it on your own. Call a professional garage door expert in such cases.